Liberty E. Holden
Liberty E. Holden, Chi, 1857, Phi Alpha (1884–1885)
Liberty E. Holden, Chi, 1857, was initiated into the fraternity at Colby College. He then transferred to the University of Michigan and was one of the founding brothers of the Xi chapter there. In 1884, he was instrumental in the establishment of the Nu chapter at Case Western Reserve University. Brother Holden was the owner of the Cleveland Plain Dealer newspaper and a real estate developer. In 1885, he constructed the Hollenden Hotel in Cleveland which had 1,000 rooms and was noted for its technological innovations including fireproofing and electrical lights.
Holden was largely responsible, as president of the building committee, for the construction of the Cleveland Museum of Art and its adjacent setting of Wade and Rockefeller Parks. Holden was president of the Union Club (of Cleveland), and the mayor of Bratenahl Village.
Holden was a member of the Mayflower Society and the Sons of the American Revolution.