J. Howard Ford
J. Howard Ford, Psi, 1877, Phi Alpha 1894-1895
John Howard Ford was a successful businessman and philanthropist. He was President of the Meyer Rubber Company for many years and a Vice President and Director of the United States Rubber Company for twenty years. Brother Ford was also a Trustee of the American Surety Company and a director of the New York Mutual Gas Light Company. He was the owner of the Stony Ford Farm (1900-1915), a 1,000 acres property in Goshen, New York, famous for stocking fine horses.
Mr. Ford’s father, John R. Ford, was one of the pioneers in rubber manufacturing in the United
States and J. Howard and his brother, James B. Ford, followed in his footsteps.
Born in New Brunswick, New Jersey, Mr. Ford was a Trustee for many years of Rutgers University and the donor of “Ford Dormitory” (which was closed in 2013 after 98 years on campus).
Brother Ford was very active with the Psi Alumni chapter for many years, serving as President and being one of the driving forces behind the building of the chapter house on Stewart Avenue in 1892.